Sunday, July 19, 2009

It Has Been Quite a While







The past months have seen my attention taken by my first hobby, ham radio. The lure of its mystique has caught my attention and I have been immersed in it once again. Goaded on by friends, I was able to get my permits and some equipment so I am back on the air again with my "first love".






I am now known in ham circles by my call sign, DV1VHY. The call sign is broken down into the country designator, the letter D. The license class , which is V, the country region, Manila being 1. The last three letters are an arbitrary assignment chosen by the National Telecommunications Commission.






I communicate with some local hams via a number of ways. Within the metro, the VHF, or very high frequency, mode is used.




But for long haul communications, we use the HF, or high frequency, mode. Equipment consists of the radios themselves and their corresponding antenna.




The enjoyment dervied with this hobby is the ability to communicate long distances with the least amount of power you can have. Operating outsoors is always a challenge and a fun event.

So now, I am building my bridges with the local hams and also those who are members of my former radio club.

2 comments:

Sailin Gudhka said...

Nice to know bout each and everything dear friend greeting from your friend in VU De VU2SGW, OM SAI

The Navy Christian said...

Jojo! It's so good to have you pop up in my reader again! I enjoyed reading your post and hope you'll keep us updated!